Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Aud/Jpy Trade

In the comments from of yesterday's post, I mentioned the idea of not chasing the trade. Let it come back to you. So here it is back to us. To gather further insight to the trade set up, first look at John's posting at Forex Factory on the AUD/USD. Half of the trade I am looking at is tied up in the strength of the AUD.

Next let's look at the long term view of the AUD/JPY. The pair is still trading in the channel that goes back to Feb/March time frame. It is testing the channel support, approaching the 100% fib retracement level and the 38% fib fan "supports" the trade for the same time frame (groan... I can't believe Blake went for the cheap pun). All of these favor the setup of a long position. From the risk and reward stand point, a 100 pip stop could allow you to trade the pair back to 107.50 level. Risk 100 pips gain 650. Mmm tasty. But the upside trend line is moving higher as time goes on so the target could becom 110.00 now we have a 900 pip target for the same 100 pips stop...yummier.

I have talked a lot about giving yourself more room to trade than you think is necessary. What about a stop in the 97.50 level. We now risk 350 pips for the same 650 or 1000 pips. Though the risk to reward isn't as appealing, I think the view of taking bigger stops will make you more right more of the time. It only takes one more winning trade in 8 trades to make up for the additional exposure.

To be more conservative and time the trade, let's drop down into an intraday view. Waiting for a move to break the 102.50 level for confirmation of the break of the fib fan and getting back into the fib retracement from prior would be a good idea. BUT, WE SHOULD BE MUCH MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWS AND NOT THE HIGHS. If we are going for a long or bullish trade then we concern ourselves with the lows or support levels. If those support levels are broken then our trade is over. The reverse is true in down trends. If we bounce off of the 101 level then we have a higher low and continuation of our trend. I will then use a fib fan and the 61% line to draw a support line off of the bottom of those two lows. The fib fan will give me a quick controlled out of the trade as well as a target for the next high. After we see a bounce I will post again.

3 comments:

Margie said...

I entered this trade at 101. Despite your saying that you should give yourself a large stop loss, I do not feel comfortable risking that much. So I was stopped out at 99.79 (the low was 99.4). I put the stop there because I thought 100 was a good support level and it was below the low of a couple of days ago. Now I am out and not getting in again.

Blake Young said...

So, is there a lesson here? Or is it just a happenstance you were stopped out?

Margie said...

It was money management. I could not risk more.